The life of a 20-something year old; Fashion, Beauty & Lifestyle Blogger.

Wednesday, 13 May 2015

Day 122 - fitness journey: portions

Hi everyone,

Welcome to another fitness journey post.

I know they are not as frequent as other posts but I do try to post recipes when I can and if you follow me on instagram and twitter you will see lots of meal ideas there too

Veggy burger, butternut squash cubes, spinach, peas and broccoli.
 
Peanut butter, 0% fat Greek yoghurt, xylitol and dark chocolate chips.
 
Quinoa chicken parmesan with broccoli and peas.

I thought this post was super important because a lot of people don't get nutrition right when trying to be truly healthy (and fit).

Many people go on diets and calorie count or just cut out eating so much but this is not the way to create a long healthy lifestyle.

In fact what you need to be doing is almost the complete opposite.

I am still well and truly learning on this fitness journey but my biggest hurdle has definitely been food and making sure I am eating enough of the right things (which I still have yet to master). Lauren Gleisberg has been a huge help so go check her out.

Basically, if you can eat four/five meals a day this is most ideal - I have three main meals and two snack type meals usually because that just works better for me.

Each meal should be as balanced as possible; a portion of healthy carb, a portion of healthy fat, a portion of protein, a portion of veg and an extra "treat".

If my breakfast includes everything except veg (as it usually does) then my first snack is cucumber sticks or similar.

Porridge oats mixed with unsweetened almond milk and water with yoghurt, flaxseed, honey and cinnamon with a lemon green tea = carb, protein, fat, extra & spice (plus healthy drinks).

The sort of portion sizes for the average woman is ;

protein - palm size
carb - one fist
fat - two fingers
veg - one fist or more
extra - thumb size

Banana and dark chocolate muffin with 0% maple syrup.

On gym days, I try to make sure I have more carbs and when it's a non-gym day I try to make sure to have minimal carbs for my last meal of the day. Although this is easier said than done when having dinner with others.

Baked sweet potato with Quorn mince chilli (the mince, peppers, chopped tomatoes, kidney beans), feta and spinach.

I am still 100% working on my evenings as this is the hardest part of the day for me.

Our fat burning hormones take about 8 to 12 hours after the last meal to kick in so on some nights I try to leave 12 hours between dinner and breakfast and then on gym nights I try to refuel with healthy carbs and protein. However, I often don't get home from the gym until 10pm and aren't really that hungry. This is definitely my biggest hurdle - aside from trying to stay away from the constant supply of biscuits at work and at home.

How are you all getting on? Let me know if you've made any of my recipes and what you thought!

Jess x

SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

© Jessica Beth Frances Barrett | All rights reserved.
Blogger Template Created by pipdig