The life of a 20-something year old; Fashion, Beauty & Lifestyle Blogger.

Friday, 16 January 2015

RECIPE: homemade pasta sauce


Hi everyone,

I don't know about you but I get so bored with just having tins of tomatoes as a sauce for half my dinners so I thought I would use my blender and create a more exciting (but still healthier than buying a pre-made version) pasta sauce.

I virtually made this recipe up, by using things I love and herbs I know will work with the meal so feel free to make your own variation up! 

This recipe as I mentioned in my previous fitness post is not quite perfect but let me know if you try it out and what you think?


So I am obsessed with peppers so clearly my first ingredient was going to be a pepper - red peppers are my favourite! I may mix it up next time and use different peppers and see how it changes the sauce.

Also cayenne pepper as it adds a kick to anything, which I love, and it increases your metabolism which we all love! There are so many more health benefit claims to cayenne pepper so I recommend adding it to some of your meals... I always add a tad to my soups, or a lot if I fancy a spicy meal!

I added my sauce to some wholewheat pasta - I didn't measure it out but I used to do 50g - with chicken, lots of peppers and mushrooms. One of my favourite go to dinners.




Ingredients:
One whole red pepper
1/2 red onion
Two large garlic cloves (or three little ones)
One chopped tomato tin
Oregano
Cayenne pepper
Thyme


Method:

Cook the onion and pepper first then let cool (and anything other veg you wish to add - we didn't add anymore veg in the sauce only the actual meal).

Then put everything in a blender and blend away until its the consistency you like - I used water to get all the juices out the tin but use whatever you wish!



NOTE
I would say this sauce serves three - but it does depend on how much sauce you like!

I kept the leftover sauce in the cup in the fridge for the next day - I made my dad try it (and he loved it) but I did add chilies into the sauce before serving it for him.

Obviously you can use actual tomatoes and not the tinned variety - I just don't actually like tomatoes so I don't buy them. If you are going to use whole ones, I recommend removing the skin and pips first to reduce the acidity.

I actually think alone (not that you would eat this alone but I tasted it) the recipe was to acid-y for my taste so I think next time I may use one whole small onion or maybe red wine instead of water or carrots - all of which should cancel out the strong taste. Or perhaps even trying 3/4 of a tin of tomatoes and not a whole one. With the actual meal and all other ingredients it was absolutely fine just as it was :)




All links are on the right (instagram) (tumblr) (youtube) (facebook)


SHARE:

2 comments

  1. Never thought of using the blend active for things like this?! Brilliant idea!!

    Liv o
    www.livxo.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know right! I didn't when I brought it but they're actually so useful and so good!

      Delete

© Jessica Beth Frances Barrett | All rights reserved.
Blogger Template Created by pipdig